Hospital Sultanah Aminah Johor Bahru

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Public faith in government hospitals


THE rising number of people seeking treatment in government hospitals is proof that the public has faith in them, Health Minister Datuk Dr Chua Soi Lek told the Dewan.

He said last year, 48 million outpatients and 1.7 million inpatients were treated at government hospitals.

"We expect next year's figures to reach 49 million and two million respectively," he said.

He said the yearly increase is due to the cheap but high-quality services provided.

"Nowhere in the world can you get quality medical treatment for RM1. Nineteen government hospitals have ISO 9000 status and 38 achieved the Hospitals Accreditation Certificate.

"Because of this, people have faith in our services and continue to use our hospitals."

Dr Chua was speaking after replying to Fong Po Kuan (DAP- Batu Gajah) inside the Dewan Rakyat.

He said 60 per cent of the country's doctors who work in Government hospitals treat 80 per cent of the population, while the rest treat the remaining 20 per cent of Malaysians in private hospitals.


Post a Comment

<< Home